Marriage License Information
Requirements for a Marriage License issued by Sherman County:
1. Both applicants must be at least 17 years of age to be married in the state of Nebraska.
You cannot marry in the state of Nebraska if you are under 17.
2. Parental consent is required for applicants who are 17 or 18 years of age. The parental
consent forms are available at the County Clerk’s Office.
3. Presenting photo identification is required. A drivers license from any of the 50 states
a Nebraska ID card, a US Passport, a US Military card or a Foreign Passport are
acceptable forms of photo identification. Proof of citizenship or immigration status is
neither relevant or required.
4. Need to know birthplace of Groom/Party A and Bride/Party B.
5. Need full names and birthplace of both parents.
6. If a social security number has been issued to the applicants, we will need that
information. The issuance of a social security number to either applicant is not
required to obtain a Marriage License. Applicants who do not have a social security
number must complete a form provided by the Clerk asserting they do not have a
social security number.
7. If the applicant had a previous marriage, we will need to know the date the marriage
ended. Applicants can not apply for a marriage license until 6 months and 1 day from
the date the marriage ended.
8. The Marriage License is good for one year from the date of issuance and can be used
in any County in Nebraska.
9. All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.
The fee for a Marriage License is $25.00, CASH ONLY.
To receive a copy or a certified copy of a Sherman County Marriage License
you will need the following information:
$1.00 for a copy
$9.00 for a certified copy
Name of Groom/Party A & Bride/Party B (including maiden name)
Date of marriage
Must be issued from Sherman County to receive a copy
Sherman County Clerk
PO Box 456
Loup City, NE 68853